Monday, October 10, 2011

I’ll love you forever…

‘I’ll Love You Forever’ written by Robert Munsch is in permanent book rotation in our home. The kids love it and I love it. For those who are unfamiliar with the book, it is about a mother who sneaks into her son’s bedroom after he is asleep and rocks him back and forth while singing:

I’ll love you forever
I’ll like you for always
As long as I’m living
My baby you’ll be


This mother continues doing this as the boy grows older and older and eventually moves out to start a family of his own. Admittedly, it seems a little creepy when the mother starts driving across town with a ladder so that she can climb into her son’s bedroom in his new home, but the sentiment is still there.

As cheesy as the story is, I always have to work to keep myself from tearing up because, well, I finally get it. I finally understand to some degree why the mother is sneaking into her son’s bedroom and I think it’s a rather brilliant idea. And this is why:

It’s because there are moments as a mother that are harder than others. There are moments when lunchtime rolls around and you realize you still have not had breakfast. There are moments when you go grocery shopping with two tired, young children and get to the check out (with everything on your list) thinking “I did it, I actually did it!’ only to discover you forgot your wallet. There are moments that you pray your son will start looking where he is going so he’ll stop running into walls and doors…then you do it yourself. There are moments the laundry piles up. Moments you have more bodily fluids on you than you care to think about. Moments where you can’t remember that last time you washed your hair. Moments where the screaming begins to turn into white noise. And moments where you remember that silence means trouble and “Uh oh, Mommy!” means it’s already too late. But at the end of those days, once the kids are asleep if you sneak into their room to see them sound asleep you get it.

(these photos were taken during nap time, which is why the kiddos are not in pyjamas)




It is right there in those quiet moments where you remember what matters most. You remember with vivid detail the first moment you held them in your arms. You remember how perfect and innocent they are. You remember the numberless days where they have blessed your life with more joy than you ever thought possible. The days where you stay in your pyjamas all morning – on purpose – to curl up on the couch and read books together. The days where you hurt yourself only to have them kiss it better. The days where you get to be a part of helping them discover something new.  The days you realize that there has never been a day that lacked in the department of hugs and kisses. The continuous days they do something that amazes you and your face glows with pride. The days that are never short on adventures or laughter. And the days that are always full of love.

It is during this flood of emotions that your heart swells with so much love for that one person that it feels as though it may burst out of your chest. It is this love and these emotions that refuel you and leave you waiting in anticipation for the moment they wake and you get to be “Mommy” again. This is when all those "hard" moments are put into perspective and the grand picture is put into view.

Being “Mommy” may not be glamorous, but I am continuously overwhelmed with gratitude that I get to be Mommy to these kids. When they were born I signed on to partnership with God that I would do everything in my power to raise them so that they will return to their Heavenly Father again some day and even with all the inevitable bumps in the road, I would never trade that role for anything. I love these kids and I love being their “Mommy”.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...