I bought a gingerbread house kit back in November as way to minimize excuses about their not being the time or energy for this activity. I'm glad we made time. Without fail, it's always a favorite for everyone. And I think this is the first year that it didn't collapse because of the humidity! We've noticed this city to be pretty dry, maybe it's just our perception, or maybe it's just a dry winter. No matter though, we had fun putting our house together. And the kids had fun snatching up candies and icing when their little fingers were quick enough.
Atticus thought it was a great job to line up the cans for the gingerbread walls to stay in place while they dried.
And for the roof to dry.
While we waited for the house to dry we enjoyed some Christmas books by the tree. Then it was back for decorations. We each had jobs. Atticus was in charge of figuring out, based on the picture we had, where the decorations should go. Jason figured out the fondant.
Milayla sorted, and placed, the gummies. With any ones that she didn't want to put on the house heading into the lovely little smile of hers.
And I iced.
Milayla worked really hard on putting the candies on the roof.
The bottom section is hers. She was determined to make it all orange until she ran out of orange and realized that she was going to need to add some of the other colors. Good effort though!
That smile.
The kids felt the need to quality control as many candies as possible. I think they passed the test because they kept going back for more.
It was fun. I'm glad we put in the time to do this together. It's a great opportunity for us to work as a team and put together something creative. It also prompted Atticus to talk about our gingerbread houses last year and how Aunt Keely was there to build one as well! And when we asked the kids on Christmas Eve what their favorite part of getting ready for Christmas was, this was one of the answers! So glad that everyone enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment