Sunday, March 23, 2014

Birthday 2014 - Jason

I feel like this post would be more appropriately named if it were titled, 'How Many Ways You Can Botch a Birthday'. Because I certainly managed to do that in so many ways.

I am not a big fan of my birthday; a sentiment that I hope Jason or the kiddos never feel about their own birthday. So I work pretty darn hard to try to make Jason and the kids' birthdays a nice experience and that they fully realize just how much we love having them in this family. And when all that planning and working to make it a nice experience goes horribly awry I just feel plain awful about it. Thus it was with Jason's birthday. Right down to forgetting how old my own husband is turning (yep...I messed up his age...I'm an awesome wife...), forgetting to cook rice to go in the requested birthday dinner of bean and rice burritos, and having our Plan A outing fall through AND our Plan B outing. The day just oozed awesomeness, can you tell?

Things that did work out; the kids did a great job with the decorations.


The birthday boy quite enjoyed his new socks, and all the hugs and kisses, and the cards.

Atticus picked the card and decided that if we made Milayla the little baby then I could be the girl and then we would all be in the picture. I think he did a great job coloring it!

And, for the first time in my life, I made decent pancakes for breakfast. A fact that everyone was very happy about!



And the snowstorm that we were greeted with in the morning made for some fun in the snow in the afternoon.

Love this picture. Jason had just told the kids that he was going to get them with a snowball and they both looked at him at the same time, unsure of whether to trust the claim or not. 
The kids made a snow slide and stairs.



So while my birthday planning skills need some serious help, I am grateful for two little kidlets who just didn't care and were happy to celebrate with balloons and brownies. And a husband who did a decent job pretending not to care; though I think he's just happy that I didn't burn the brownies (like last year...). And that Milayla was an awesome kitchen helper and made sure that those brownies were loaded in chocolate chips. I kind of love when positive attitudes outweigh negative experiences and fun is still had by all; particularly when that was my hope all along - that we would enjoy celebrating Jason and his unique part in our family.


So here is to Jason getting to enjoy un-burnt brownies with tasty vanilla ice cream and getting to turn 31....again...



*sigh*

Happy Birthday Jason!

I'm grateful that you know how to laugh at things like this...enjoy your extra year!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...