Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Splash & Dash - November 2014

    When I came across the Splash & Dash fundraiser I knew it was something our family should get involved in. After winning over Jason on the idea I was pretty excited to tell the kids about it. Once I told the kids, the count down was on!  They were so excited to get to help out the children’s hospital, especially when they learned that it was for the same unit (different hospital) that had helped us 2 years earlier when Milayla was sick.

    As part of this fundraiser we needed to raise funds to support the oncology unit (Sarah’s Floor) at the Montreal Children’s hospital. Our part was to participate in the family relay. The kids would run laps and Jason would swim laps. Phinny and I played a large role in the encouragement side of things. We were pumped! We had some wonderful family and friends donate money to the cause - so grateful for their support and we headed over right after Milayla’s gymnastics class that morning.

    That put us there pretty early but gave us plenty of time to enjoy the festivities they had in addition to the main event. The kids pretty much exhausted themselves in the inflatable obstacle course, Milayla was taken out by some boys in the bouncy turtle (got a bruise to show for it!), we played inflated soccer and baseball and I demonstrated my mad skills at the flower sticks (seriously - Jason was shocked that I was so good. Ha!). Then a delicious lunch from the sponsors at it was a great morning!

   Having attended and helped with quite a few fundraisers, I am seriously so impressed with how this event was organized. The afternoon was the BEST. It kicked off with the Heroes & Celebrities relay. This is where kids who have been through Sarah’s Floor ran laps with local celebrities. Seeing those kids running around the track filled my heart to overflowing. It was so incredibly beautiful. I cried. Jason cried. And we weren't the only ones. And the cheers that filled the arena were simply magical and filled with incredible, genuine love. So so so beautiful.

   Then it was time for our family relay. Atticus was up first to run. He was a little nervous about running that big ‘ol track so he ran with someone else but he ran the entire two laps then tagged Jason for him to go swim. When Jason got back to tag Milayla, she was a little nervous about running so Atticus got back out on the track and Phin and I joined in and away we all went. Those little legs of theirs were working so hard and so determined. I wish I got a picture of them running through the finishing ribbon, Atticus and Milayla were holding hands to support each other. Instead I was running along side them cheering them on. Pictures are great, but I definitely think I was fulfilling the more important role in running with them instead of being behind the camera. My heart was beaming for them at how determined and excited they were to play a part in helping others. They have hearts of gold. I feel so honored to be their mom.

    It was a very full and wonderful day (especially since we went to a baptism and a church talent show afterwards) and I am so immensely grateful that we did it. A wonderful experience. And it has reminded me to be a little more watchful day-to-day in ways to help those around us. It’s a lifestyle, not a one time thing and we are certainly trying to do a little bit better.

















1 comment:

SJW said...

I'm happy that you opened up your blog again. I understand how difficult it can be to balance privacy with the voice you desire to maintain. I've gone back-and-forth many times...hoping I'm approaching my blog the right way. I've been thinking a lot about you, and I loved seeing pictures of your new addition! He's so cute, and I can't believe how big your babies are given how tiny you look! I always come away from your posts feeling encouraged about my role as a mother. I hope your holidays are wonderful this year. We send our love from Washington.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...