Milayla loves playing pretend and loves pretending to be a mommy, builds things out of blocks like churches, picks up a book to 'read' whenever she can and has begun learning the art of reading and loves it. She colored a picture one day and when she noticed that there was one more person in the picture than we have in our family she decided that it could be Aunt Keely. Aunt Keely was honored.
Atticus only wants to read, do math, and play in the snow. Anything outside of that realm is a tough sell these days but he comes around to it all pretty quickly - thankfully.
Phineas melts hearts in his sleep. The picture of him sleeping in his striped sleeper, toes exposed, and sweet little profile of his face makes my chest feel like it might burst. He loves to jump. No Jolly Jumper handy? No Problem. Mine and Jason's arms seem to fill the void. He gives awesome kisses and pulls my hair with herculean grip.
Homeschool is coming along well. Anyone being sick (a usual part of winter) definitely reminds me the importance of flexibility. There is a picture of Milayla looking at our German word book and Atticus practicing his skip counting with a hundreds chart. It looks like it was a more productive day than it was. I'm going for the overall theme of teaching them to love learning and trying to learn something difficult. So far so good. But, let's face it, I've barely begun. I've started picking out curriculum for next year.
Meanwhile, we have loved having lots of snow days. I don't think Phin cares for all the snow suit layers, but he has enjoyed the baby snow angels we help him make in the fresh snow. Atticus and Milayla like to pretend they are on a winter expedition over the mountains of cleared snow. When we get fresh snow the kids like to get pulled down the sidewalks in the sled. They all fit. Miraculously. And I get my workout in pulling it. And they get a riot out of asking if we can go faster.
And though I am getting my pseudo love for winter put to the test as we enter February and unfavorable temperatures, I have to say that Heavenly Father gave me quite the gift when I was walking home from the metro one night; big fluffy snow falling on freshly cleared roads that made it feel all cozy and romantic like the first big snowfall of the season. It was beautiful. And I was reminded of all the beautiful little moments that happen during winter. And I feel like I really am learning to enjoy this winter. I think it helps that the kids are so enthusiastic about it.












No comments:
Post a Comment